If you are an avid reader and love spending time with books, then a library is the most ideal place for you. For those interested in reading, libraries with ten books or ten million books is a wonderful place because there are books there. There are several libraries in the world which have millions of books on various topics. Some of the libraries are said to be hundred years old and have enough items to keep you reading for a lifetime and beyond.
Not only books, few libraries have unique collections of antique artifacts, ancient books, original manuscripts and also handwritten documents of famous authors. Also, not only do the largest libraries have impressive collections, they have beautiful architecture, impressive ambience and comfortable reading rooms.
Let’s have a look at the world’ largest and most famous libraries:
1) Library Of Congress: Library Of Congress is the oldest and largest in Washington, D.C., United States.
- The library was founded by John Adams in 1800.
- The library has materials in over 450 languages.
- It is one of the largest libraries with more than 164 million items.
- The collections include sound recordings, books, motion pictures, manuscripts, photographs and maps.
2) British Library: British library of the United Kingdom is located in London and is the second largest library in the world.
- It was established in 1973 and has a massive collection of books. The library also includes handwritten lyrics of Beatles.
- There are more than 150 million reading material available in the library.
3) Library and Archives Canada: Library and Archives Canada was founded in 2004 and is located in Ottawa.
- It is a federal institution whose task is to preserve the documentary heritage of Canada.
- There are about 54 million items available at LAC.
4) New York Public Library: New York Public Library is located in Manhattan and is the second largest public library in the United States and fourth largest in the world.
- It is said that the library has a huge collection of nearly 53 million items.
- The Library also has four research libraries which are also open to the general public.
5) Russian State Library: Russian State Library is located in Moscow and is considered as the fourth largest library in the world.
- It is the national library of Russia with a huge collection of over 44.4 million books.
- Initially it was named Lenin State Library of the USSR and was renamed as Russian State Library in 1992.
6) National Diet Library: National Diet Library is one of the largest libraries located in Japan.
- Established in 1948, the library combines the libraries of the upper and lower houses of the Diet.
- It has a huge collection of over 41.88 million reading material.
7) Bibliothèque Nationale De France: Bibliothèque Nationale De France is located in Paris and is the national library of France.
- It is the national repository of all that is published in France and has an extensive collection of reading material.
- It is known as the seventh largest library in the world and holds a total of 40 million items.
8) National Library of Russia: Opened in 1795, National Library of Russia is the oldest and first public library in the nation.
- Located in St Petersburg, this library has been actively involved in digitizing over 80,000 titles, which can be viewed electronically.
- It is the eight largest library in the world and has a total of 36.5 million items.
9) The National Library of China: The National Library of China is the national library of the People’s Republic of China.
- It is the largest library in Asia and houses many rare Chinese items such as ancient books, tortoise shells, oracle bones and Buddhist manuscripts.
- It was established in 1909 and has a huge collection of Chinese literature and historical documents.
- It has a total of 35.1 million items.
10) Royal Danish Library: Founded in 1648, Royal Danish Library is the national library of Denmark.
- It is also known as library of the University of Copenhagen and is the tenth largest library in the world.
- It has a total of 35.1 million items and houses the famous Gutenberg Bible and letters of Hans Christian Andersen.
So, all you readers out there visit these world famous libraries and stay informed.