Parents are constantly under the pressure to give a healthy brought up to their kids. But considering the existing challenges and competitions today, is it enough to simply raise children? Well, according to experts, boosting creative skills in our children will enhance their overall growth and development. Exploring their creative side will allow them to become more confident, independent, imaginative and ready to face upcoming challenges in life.
Read on to know how to raise creative children:
- Accept your child’s mistakes: According to studies, those kids who commit mistakes and shy away from accepting them will never learn to succeed in life. Parents must explain their children that mistakes can happen for good and rather than hiding it, they must be ready to face the outcome. They should be encouraged to learn from their mistakes and consider them as new opportunities. This way they will be able to think creatively.
- Get used to mess: Most of the parents prefer to have clean places and also expect their children to follow the same rule. We often scold our children for making the room messy. To unfold their creativity, it is important to get used to messes. Rather than scolding them, allow them to add their creativity to everything they do. Also, educate them to clean up the mess after they are done.
- Don’t forget to praise your child: Always praise your children for creating something new and unique. Use the right words to boost their confidence for taking an initiative. Such an act will encourage them to explore and create something new every time. They must also be taught to learn from their mistakes at every step.
- Be a Role model: Those parents who spend their leisure time in creative activities like gardening, craft, art, singing, dancing, painting etc. can successfully inculcate these habits in their children. When kids see their parents spending time doing creative things, they will be automatically get motivated to take up those.
- Provide maximum space to your children: Rather than restricting your children from doing certain activities, it is important to teach them about the pros and cons. Allow them to make decisions independently. Provide them the required space and freedom to undertake a particular task.
- Try not to Interfere and impose yourself: To nurture creative children, it is important to allow your children to work independently. Children who are constantly under their parents’ surveillance hold back themselves from taking risks and stop exploring things. Constant interference and repeated questioning must be avoided. Children must be monitored from a distance and allowed to show their creative abilities.
- Set aside a fixed time for creative activities: It is good if your kids are creative and enjoy working independently. Set aside an hour or so from their routine for creative activities.
- Try to include basics: Toys and games with advanced capabilities are fun to be with, but they have their own place and time. Try to substitute them with more basic materials like sticks, sand, tubes, wood or water etc. This will encourage the kids to think for diverse options.
- Minimize screen time: In this technologically advanced age, it is absolutely difficult for children to stay away from TV’s, IPad, mobiles or video games. Parents must stop children from spending too much time with these gadgets and make an effort to engage them in other creative activities like drawing, painting, sketching etc.
- Pay attention to nuances: Encourage your children to pay attention to the little things happening around us every day. This will help them to interpret the world better.
These practical tips, if followed judiciously, parents will be able to raise creative kids, enrich their overall personality and inspire them to excel in future.