First of all congratulations on becoming a mother and get ready to experience the joy and responsibility of handling your baby. New born babies are very delicate hence, they need extra care, responsible attitude and determinate nature of mother. Do not panic with the responsibility you are going to handle because we are here to help you out with the basic and necessary details about taking care of new born babies.
- Give support to your baby’s head; the first and the foremost thing about taking care of new-borns is how to handle them. Give your baby hand support while holding him/her. Support the head and neck of your baby as babies have little muscles developed in this area. Hence, be cautious while handling them because if you do not give proper support to your baby’s head and neck it can cause serious injury to him/her. Lift them skilfully and support their head and neck while you do so.
- Do not worry about the normal noises at house while your baby is sleeping; many first time parents think that they might disturb their sleeping baby if they create noise around them. But do not worry as babies are used to noises when they are in womb so you can continue with your household stuff like using vacuum cleaner and dish washing while your baby is sleeping.
- What to feed your baby; babies are delicate so they are dependent on breast feeding or infant drink milks. Do not feed anything heavy to your baby unless they reach a particular stage. Babies generally cry to make mothers understand that they are hungry and need to be fed. Eventually you will start understanding your baby’s cry and would be able to differentiate between their cry, which means they are hungry or need sleep. Try to breast feed your baby and avoid other baby milk supplements as breastmilk make babies much healthier and provide immunity against diseases. While breastfeeding your baby make sure of cleaning your nipples in order to keep them infection free. If your baby is having problem in lathing onto your nipples, use breast shields to make the process easy for your baby. Also if you are choosing bottle feeding there are variety of bottles available in the market to help you feed them but always take care of hygiene.
- Soothe your baby by patting their back; after your baby is done eating you will want him/her to burp. Babies generally easily swallow too much air while eating and this leaves them cranky and uncomfortable. So, to relieve your baby lay them in a way that they are slightly over your shoulder and pat their back gently to make them burp. Gently patting baby while he/she is crying also helps in soothing up your baby.
- Do not worry much about soft spots on your baby’s head; babies skull remains open until they reach a definite stage for example, one year and a half and in some cases it may take up two years. Hence, do not get panic when you see some soft spots on your baby’s head because they are covered and protected by membrane that protects your baby’s head. So you can comb and style their hair without worrying much about the soft spots.
- Get ready for spit ups; babies have a hard time digesting their food as their stomach is very weak during some initial months so prepare in advance for spit ups while you feed them. Keep rags handy to avoid the mess. Also watch for spit ups that is a colour other white, take advice from doctor if the colour of spit up is red, yellow, green or any colour other than white.
- Look out for gas; if your baby feels uneasy and become unhappy and you cannot find any other cause, then look whether the baby is gassy or not. If gassy, lay him/her across your lap on his/her stomach with their butt bit upwards and gently pat your baby while drawing your hand downward to eliminate the gas from his/her stomach.
- Take extra care of your baby’s hygiene; know when to change diapers, for example if the diaper is wet and filled immediately change it. A Dirty diaper will smell so it will be easy for you to know when to change your baby’s diaper. Also, learn how to change your baby’s diaper, although it’s not difficult to learn yet if done incorrectly can cause irritation, itching and many other problems to your baby. Follow these simple steps to learn how to change your baby’s diaper;
- Lay down your baby flat on their back, do not leave them unattended in this position and also watch out him/her from rolling away.
- Open the dirty diaper, but do not take it off immediately, clean your baby’s wet and dirty area with appropriate wipes then put soiled wipes in the diaper, lift your baby’s ankle and gently take off the diaper.
- Open the new diaper and put it on by sliding it into position. Double check whether it is facing appropriate position.
- Check the elastic of the diaper, be sure that it is not too tight or too loose for your baby’s waist.
- Watch out for diaper rash; babies often feel skin irritation when their skin is rubbed to hard, wearing a tight diaper, skin rashes caused by wet diapers, or when the diaper is not being changed enough. So watch out for skin irritation and apply appropriate creams or powders. Always consult doctor before applying any cream on your baby’s skin. Trust doctor recommended products only. Also make sure to buy right size diapers for your baby.
- Carefully bathe your baby; babies do not sweat as adults do, hence, they do not need to bathe regularly. So bathe them as doctor advice or you may also bathe them once a week. Do not leave your baby unattended while bathing him/her. Use appropriate baby soap and body washer and never use any chemical bathing product. Choose your baby product wisely and carefully.
Enjoy the adventure and delight of parenting. Have a happy and safe parenting.