There were times when business was considered to be men’s job but the present century has defied this old norm because in today’s world women are coming out to be more energetic, passionate, committed and have shown true determination towards their work. Be it any field, teaching, engineering, acting, model, science, adventure, entrepreneurship and what not women have shown their true capacities to the world. Today, I bring to you seven most successful women from India who have not only made their name in business world but completely overpower it through their leadership and management skills.
- Indu Jain; born and brought up in Jain household this lady has been awarded with the most prestigious Indian award, Padma Shri from the government of India in January 2016 for her outstanding contribution in the field of business and media. This charismatic personality currently holds the position of chairperson in India’s largest media group; Bennett Coleman & Co. Ltd which owns many media newspapers and times of India is among them. Besides being a successful entrepreneur Indu Jain is also known by many other titles such as spiritualistic, educationist, humanist, follower of art and culture but her contribution in the field of business has remained her one of highest achievements.
- Kiran Mazumdar Shaw; a well-known name in the field of biomedicine research has her roots in Bangalore where she completed her graduation in zoology from Mount Carmel College, Bangalore University. Later she joined Ballaret College, Melbourne University to pursue Masters in Malting and Brewing. She currently holds the position of founder Chairman and Managing Director at Biocon Limited. She started Biocon in the year 1978 as an enzymes manufacturing company and achieved heights by making it into a fully integrated bio-pharmaceutical company. Besides holding the position of CMD at Biocon ltd, she is also a member of board of governors at IIT, Hyderabad and Indian School of Business.
- Indra Nooyi; a very well- known and acknowledged face of India’s top business entrepreneurs, she is the CFO and President of famous brand PepsiCo. In her leadership her company has garnered as much as $30 billion in the last couple of years. This Chennai born entrepreneur holds a Bachelor’s degree in science from Madras Christian College in 1974. Before Joining Pepsico in 1994 Noori has held various senior positions at Motorola and Asea Brown Boveri. She is also a Padma Bhushan Awardee for her outstanding contribution in India’s Cooperate world.
- Vandana Luthra; she justifies the phrase beauty with brain as her brand VLCC is one of India’s most acknowledged beauty brands. She through her hard work and determination has made a name for her beauty and wellness brand VLCC 11 countries across Asia, Africa, and Gulf cooperation council (GCC). To enhance her skills she took up a professional course from polytechnic for women in New Delhi after which she went on to expand her knowledge by enrolling herself in higher education from France, Germany and UK. She is listed amongst the most powerful women in Business in India by fortune India in 2015. She is also the prestigious Padma Shri award holder for her gigantic contribution in the field of beauty, wellness and skin care.
- Naina Lal Kidwai; the Country Head and Group General Manager at HSBC Group India, Naina has many credits to her name from being the first Indian women to graduate from Harvard Business School to became the Vice Chairmen JM Morgen Stanley, she is a true inspiration. She also held eminent position such as Global Advisor Harvard Business School, non-executive director at Nestle SA, Auditor General of India and many more other positions. She too is a Padma Shri awardee and has been a member of Governing Board NCAER.
- Chanda Kochar; the winner of “Business Women of the Year” 2005, “Retail Banker of the Year” 2004, and “Excellence in Retail Banking Award” in 2002, Chanda Kochar is a well celebrated name in the field of Banking. She is currently the MD and CEO of ICICI bank. She is post graduate in Management Studies from Jamnalal Institute of Management and studies, Mumbai, India. In her leadership ICICI bank became the largest private bank and won many awards.
- Ekta Kapoor; the queen bee of Soap operas in India, Ekta Kapoor has become the household name for her creative skills in the field of TV and Film industry. She has been ruling the Indian TV industry for over a decade now. She runs the well acknowledged Balaji Telefilms and has given major hit serials like, Kyonki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi, Mohobattein, Kahani Ghar Ghar Ki etc. Her production house has given rise to many hit TV stars. She is known to be very protective of her company and brand has changed the face of Indian television Industry within the last ten years. She has also won the Hall of Fame Award at the 6th Indian Telly Awards in 2006.
In my article I have tried to name a few Women entrepreneurs who are ruling the world but there are many more who are achieving heights in Business world. I congratulate them for their hard work, commitment and determination. More power to you all the women entrepreneurs keep rocking and achieving new heights.