The best way to de-tangle is to do it in the shower. Apply a lot of conditioner on your hair and comb through it while you’re showering.
Straight hair is boring but if you ask a curly-haired girl about her hair; she is no less sulky! Not only is curly hair difficult to manage, it also becomes equally challenging to style and change the look of curly hair. The length of your hair is one of the most important factors in styling your hair. Everyone has a different length and a different cut according to the face cut and the texture of their hair. Some women have soft curls while others have corkscrew curls. There are others whose curls are z-shaped or S-shaped.
Here are a few tips for caring and styling your curly hair:
- Detangle without breaking – Discard that brush and use a wide-toothed comb to detangle your hair. This helps to prevent the hair from breaking. Start combing at the ends and gradually move up towards the roots. The best way to detangle is to do it in the shower. Apply a lot of conditioner on your hair and comb through it while you’re showering. Not only does it prevent breakage; it also helps to avoid frizz.
- Avoid Frizz – Curly-haired girls always struggle to avoid frizz. If it’s a rainy day, skip the hair wash. Just use your hands to wet the hair slightly and spray a little bit of leave-in conditioner. This will ensure that your hair don’t get frizzy. A leave-in conditioner is the best way to avoid frizz and hydrate your dry curly hair.
- Lock in the moisture – Curly hair lacks moisture and needs that extra conditioning. Applying a conditioner before showering is a great way to lock the moisture in to curly hair. Take small amount of a sulfate-free shampoo along with a deep conditioner and apply it on your curly hair sparingly. Massage it thoroughly on the scalp and cover your head with a shower cap. Rinse after a few minutes. This will help to cleanse the hair without removing the natural oils of the hair. For hair that is extremely dry, shampooing is not required. Just use a conditioner as often as you like. Applying coconut oil on your hair before showering or while styling is a great way to condition dry hair and add an extra shine to your locks.
- Use a soft towel – A cotton towel won’t be of any good for curly hair. Use a microfiber towel or a t-shirt to dry your hair. A towel absorbs all the water but a t-shirt doesn’t. It helps to smoothen out your curls.
- Use a mousse to style your hair – A gel or a mousse work best to style curly hair. Avoid using heat as this can make your hair frizzy. A mousse helps to style them and make them look neat. To retain your styled hair, tie them on top of your head in ‘pineapple’ bun. A silk or satin pillowcase is the apt cushion to curly hair as opposed to cotton one since the hair can get knotted on a cotton pillowcase.
Apart from the above, remember to take good care of your hair. Always ensure that your shoulder length hairs are not resting on your shoulders when you’re leaving home with your shoulder bag or hand bag.